Wednesday, May 8, 2013

More Transplaning, Kitties and Chicken Feet


Today I transplanted different types of lettuces into the ground.  3 rows, a foot apart.  Above are the lettuces before I put their roots in the soil.  Another benefit to transplanting verses putting seeds directly in the ground is that the rows will be neater and properly spaced.  It's often a bit of a mess when the seeds go directly in the ground.


But today we planted rutabaga seeds (above) directly into the ground and parsnip seeds (below).  For the rutabagas I sprinkled 2-5 seeds every 6 to 8 inches.


For the parsnips we just scattered them along the rows.  Jay said that usually the rule to covering seeds with soil is to double the length of the seed.  So for the parsnips we covered them about 1/2 an inch.


Trouser likes to sit and watch us work.  It's nice to have his company, but sometimes I wish he would grab a shovel and do something.


The kitties continued to hide today.


I started putting together the chicken feet with twigs and wire.



Then to my surprise, Jem decided to join me!



No comments:

Post a Comment