Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cornbread for Breakfast


Last night was fun with Potluck: Chicago and our guests at Inspiration Cafe. I tripled my cornbread recipe...2/3 of the cornbread was eaten but 1/3 sits in my fridge. Looks like I will have to find a way to make cornbread fit into every meal. So I started with breakfast. I used my honey from Midnight Sun Organics farm now that I finally finished my local honey from Dennanne Farms in Elgin. It's amazing how different the two honeys taste, but both are amazing.

Here is the recipe for Vegan Cornbread from The Angelica Home Kitchen: recipes and rabble rousings from an organic vegan restaurant by Leslie McEachern. My Aunt Laurie gave me this book and I love it! This recipe is fast and simple.

Southern-Style Cornbread

Yield: 8 servings Baking time: 25 minutes

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup minced scallions
1 cup soy milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil an 8-to-10 inch round ovenproof glass or case iron skillet.

-Whisk together the cornmeal, whole wheat pastry flour, unbleached white flour, baking powder, and scallions in a mixing bowl.

-In a separate mixing bowl, combine the soy milk, olive oil, maple syrup, and sea salt.

-Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon; do not overmix.

-Pour into the oiled baking dish and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

-Set aside to cool.

-Slice into wedges and serve.


Here are the many foods everyone brought. It was very yummy!



And a super yummy Coconut Curry soup that Inspiration Cafe provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment