Saturday, March 23, 2013

Kombucha!


I finally made my very first batch of Kombucha!  Kombucha is a fermented tea beverage.  It tastes a bit like apple cider vinegar.  The longer you let it ferment, the stronger the vinegar flavor gets.  After it ferments you can add fruit juice to flavor it.  It contains probiotics and antioxidants.  It costs about $4 for a small bottle at the grocery store.  But when it is made at home it only costs about $1 a gallon.  The scoby (the big goober floating in the liquid) eats the sugar I have added to the tea and grows another scoby.  Then when the batch is through, both scobies can be used again.  That's why people end up with more scobies than they know what to do with!  

I am very excited to have something fermenting in my home!
Check out this video here to learn how to make Kombucha.

No comments:

Post a Comment